Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summer Shhtuff

Wooow do I have a lot on my mind! It's really too bad your only going to get the bare minimum...

As you and I can see I was on my way to the states for a month and now I'm back! I had a really tough time getting situated when I got back to the UK but I was told it was only because I had just left home and the best advice I got was to keep busy. And thats EXACTLY what I've been doing. Everyone keeps telling me I missed the good weather in the UK but in my mind they're all lying to cover up for this ridiculous weather. It's either raining or super sunny every other hour! Even more drastic than VA's weather.

Getting back to London was another big change in lifestyle. I went from driving everywhere to taking the tube that I actually missed!! OH wait..I take that back. I didn't have too much time because I started my internship the day after I got here. A bit about that, I "work" at a Fashion PR company and I really love it. I always wondered why those girls on the Hills were just staring at clothes all day. Now I see, they actually are...just staring at clothes..but I suppose they're is some non-back-breaking (word?) work involved. I spend my days talking to people at various magazines, shooting clothes, pulling stuff for photoshoots, and then sending them to places like Vogue & Elle (!!!) It's pretty exciting when you see things you helped pick in the mags & newspapers. Thats just the more fun stuff, don't worry, there is plenty of less glamorous"give it to the intern" work to do also. I've definitely learned a lot more about the British culture and lifestyle. Offices here are much more laid back and everyones not so suit and tie. In fact, I have yet to see a woman wearing a skirt suit. And on Friday's we have something called "wine o'clock" which is everyone getting tipsy on a fast fun friday afternoon. (ahh alliteration!) Oh So British. I plan on bringing this tradition back to the States with me :)

The best thing about working there though, is the people. Everyone is so so nice and the other interns and I have become really good friends in such a short time! There's another American (who has the cutest accent from the south) and a girl from Paris (another too cute accent). I'm so glad to have them, we'll go out for drinks after work and hang out during the weekends bc we love each other oh so much haha.

So I've found some new favorite places to eat. Pret A Manager and Wasabi
which is a Sushi & Bento place that I have definitely gone to everyday last week. And not even for the sushi..I get the Tofu Jahang and usually end up picking the tofu out. By the way we have Pret in DC. and I'm guessing a whole lot of other places in the states haha They're good for a nice pick me up soup :)

Today while walking to work I saw my first pedestrian accident which didn't invlove myself! (heyy) This guy right in front of me must've been in a rush and decided to try and cross the road when our little walking sign was red. The road looked clear but they're was a biker just zooming away coming towards him. Everyone started screaming to try and stop him from crossing but it was too late. The biker ran smack into him and flew off his bike and then rolling into the street. The man that was walking got up straight away looking really surprised (well wouldn't you?) And the biker luckilly got up as well, looking very angry. Everyone made sure they were okay and the rest of us had to get to work! It was really scary to see and now that I have seen it I'm just going to be 23487623987 x more paranoid.

So besides all this, I'm staying super busy as my best advice giver has told me. I hope everyones doing great and have an amazing summer. In The Telegraph (newspaper) today there was an article called "10 Ways to Have a Life Changing Summer" by Lesley Garner
1. Just Get Out More
2. Say Hello to 10 People Everyday
3. Spend More time with Pets
4. Spend time with nature
5. Do Something you've never done before
6. Say Yes
7. Do things on your own
8. Help Others
9. Go Somewhere New
10. Say Thank you
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthadvice/lesleygarnerlifeclass/5918830/Lesley-Garners-10-tips-for-a-life-changing-summer.html

Keep these in mind as we approach the last couple of months of summer.

xoxo

No comments: