Monday, September 15, 2008

I just might like it here..


Yesterday was my first day in London! It still hasn't hit me that I'm actually here! My housing is on the outskirts of Central London and I'm surrounded by lots of little shops and old apartments that line the streets.

I really didn't know what to think or do at first when my mom left. But unpacking sure wasn't one of them.

The hallway (My 5 other roomates will live within these doors) and my kitchen. The living area is opposite the kitchen, pretty standard. Sorry for the plainess and messiness of everything, most of my shipping isn't here yet :(

My room, from Right >Left: 1. My desk and the right side of the room, 2. bed and left side
3. Back of the room where my bathroom is and 4. the br.



The housing is made of about 6 different buildings, 4 floors, each a different color. We were told that not a lot of the students will be moving in until later this week, So yesterday I was the only person in mine :( It's alright though because I didn't spend too much time in it. I set out on a mission to meet some other people. Most of the ones I met lived a couple buildings down but were all extremly nice and you could see their unexpected look of curiosity as soon as I started speaking my "typical American accent" (what the guy from holland told me) Here, people can tell what area you are from just by your accent! In the states we can only tell if your from the South or the North haha..lets work on that! They get it down to the city! amazing..

So this is the sidewalk you'll be on right outside my housing gate. Its what I will walk on everyday to get to the tube station for school. Its lined with townhouses for a good two blocks (below). The opposite side are little markets and stands.













My Building is On the Left there. And the one next to it are pictures of the townhomes






..................................


That night, I wen't out with a girl named Adele, and her visiting friend Sammy. I'm so grateful they sort of took me under their wing, or else I probably would have stayed in. (It seems a lot of people here were told not to go out in our area alone..understandable haha) Anyways, we drove to Central London- Leicester Square and went to a bar/club called Yates. It was amazing! Really big place, the bar practically goes wall to wall, lots of sitting and loung-ey areas(unlike some clubs in the states where you either stand around or dance) I ordered a cosmo and a cranberry&lime w. archers (whatever that means!!, it was by suggestion)











Afterwards, we spent an hour (literally) to look for the car! obviously none of us were paying attention and
it was a good thing one of their guy friends was with us, its probably not the best idea to be walking around london at 2 in the morning! Two good things came of this:

1. Got to learn the streets a bit

2. Saw a member of S Club 7 coming out of a cab!!
(mostly pop band in UK but they had a t.v show in the states a while back..and yes I watched it..)The group I was with was just like..oh theres so and so..and I'm like...why are we not getting pictures/autographs! lol

It's Monday, lets talk about today


It's now 8pm and I have walked to the Tescos grocery store twice today. I could literally stay in there for hoursss just looking at all of their food..Some is the same but a lott is so different and I had to stop my self from putting everything I wanted to try in my basket (I did afterall have to carry it back..only thing I don't like abou
t grocery shopping in a city..always wondered about that)
Across the street from the grocery are a lot of little markets and fresh vegetable stands which I also helped myself too. This place is like a scavenger hunt I find something new every step I take. Theres a lot of little takeaways (to-go) everything from Mexican to Indian to Jamaican. I can't wait to try all their food!
At the moment i'm drinking this mango,lime and apple drink and snacking on toast haha (English enough?) It's heaven.

Anyways, I'll leave you with some pictures of the cities from last night..A lot are a bit blurry because I was riding/walking. haha




4 comments:

JLeigh2015 said...

Hey! Sounds like you are enjoying it more than you thought you would. I bet it will be a lot of fun when everyone gets moved in! Keep taking pics I love looking at 'em!

k-bug said...

sounds like a lot of fun! and i remember s club 7, are they still around??=)

Anonymous said...

Told you you'd have fun! Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

holy crap ashley your room looks huge! and i'm really jealous you're the first one goign to a bar.